Search This Blog

Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat

Monday, January 16, 2012

I had absolutely no idea that Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat is visible from the bridge atop Mahalaxmi railway station. The first time I realised this was the day I went to see it. The dhobi ghat is located on the eastern side, quite close to the railway station at a place called Saat Raasta.
A view of Dhobi Ghat from the Bridge
 The place is a sight. Everywhere there are tiny cubicles where dhobis, the Indian term for washermen, wash clothes. Clothes are soaked, washed, flogged and hung to dry. A nice mosaic is formed from the same.
Washing Stations at Dhobi Chat
 The clothes that the dhobis wash come from hospitals and hotels. They are washed in concrete wash basins. This is the world’s largest outdoor laundry.
Clothes drying at Dhobi Ghat
 When I saw them washing the clothes, I thought that I would personally prefer to wash my clothes myself when my washing machine conks off, instead of giving the job to the dhobis. Otherwise, I won’t have my clothes back in one piece.
White Linen drying at Dhobi Ghat
The dhobi ghat is a very famous tourist spot. Lots of tourists come here to click pictures and see the dhobis in action. The place is also featured in a number of advertisements, movies and television shows.

3 comments:

gwl said...

Full of clothes.
giftwithlove.com

Anonymous said...

I am on a visit to Mumbai and heard about the likes of Gateway of India, Water kingdom, CST, Elephanta caves. But after reading your blog, I think I must make it a point to visit Mahalaxmi Dhobi ghat, seems to promise to be a spectacle.

Thomas Mark.

MERWYNSRUCKSACK said...

Thanks GWL and Thomas Mark

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...