Search This Blog

Sewree Fort

Thursday, December 15, 2011


I alighted at Sewree station on the harbour line in Mumbai to see this fort.


On the platform, I walked towards Wadala Road station. I alighted on the western side of the platform only to find that there were more shops selling Chinese handsets here than food and beverage shops. Looks like the people of Sewree have a fetish for Chinese cell phones. I made enquiries with a few locals. But no clear directions were offered to me. None of the people I asked had even heard of Sewree fort.
Entrance to the Dargah and the Fort

I then crossed over to the eastern side via the level crossing for the vehicles, and it was there that someone gave me directions to the fort.
 As instructed, I walked on straight from the level crossing. I was told that I would meet another road ahead. A the joining of these two roads is the entrance to the Dargah.
Sewree Mangroves


This area had a very rustic look to it. I climbed up the stairs to reach the top, where I saw the Dargah but no sign of the fort.
The road was jammed with trucks. I guessed that it was probably an industrial area. In 10 minutes, I was at the entrance of the Dargah. There were building around but they were no habited and were on the verge of breaking down.
Entrance to the Fort
I then asked a boy sitting under a coconut tree. He told me that this was the Dargah (Dargah of Hazrat Jalal Shah and Murad Shah) and the one next to it was the fort. I was surprised to hear his words. The structure looked brand new to term.
 The Sewree Fort was built by the British in 1680 with the purpose of watching over the land. A watch tower, to be precise. Built for defense, it had high walls and was built on a cliff surrounded by land on three sides. 
In the Fort premises children playing cricket


In the Fort premises children playing cricket, another snap also featuring the fortification of the Fort











The walls of the Fort are intact
The inside of the fort was a studio for graffiti artists. I was told by the boy (Azhar Khan) that the place was being taken care of by the Maharashtra State Department of Archaeology and Museums. I was pleased to learn that the government has woken up to a sense of its own responsibility.
My guide, Azhar Khan
I then visited the Dargah which had been renovated. I sat on the terrace near the Dargah for some time. I was completely cut off from the noisy city of Mumbai. I sat there for a long time, watching the mangroves of Sewree and the water lashing on them. In the distance, I could see Navi Mumbai. 
The walls covered with graffiti, Hey dont mistake my copyright to be one of it


Fortification


Life is so silent and peaceful here. No worries, no tensions, maybe I should come here often. After all, it is just 45 minutes away from my house.  

Forts in Mumbai are Bandra FortMahim FortMadh FortSion FortWorli Fort



0 comments:

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...